Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Busy families know that the crock pot was an amazing invention! How many meals (lives!) have been saved by this slow cooker wonder! While Crock Pot Chili is by far our favorite, this Chicken Tortilla Soup is a close second. It’s super easy, flavorful and the kiddos love it too.
You can even throw in frozen chicken! This is also one that I sometimes hide veggies in, any colored peppers are the best addition.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 can chili beans or I use red kidney beans and about a 1/2 T chili powder
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can navy beans
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- do not drain any of the beans/veggies
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can chicken broth or equivalent using bouillon
- 2 T homemade taco seasoning or 1 package taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless boneless chicken breasts
- shredded cheddar cheese
- crushed tortilla chips
- Add all ingredients into the crock pot, with the chicken going in last. Press down chicken until it is just under the other ingredients. Cook on high for 3-5 hrs.
- 5 hrs into cooking (depending on if your chicken was thawed and your slow cooker's heat), remove chicken from the soup base. Allow to cool a bit and then shred the chicken. Do this by slicing across the grain of the meat. Chicken that is cooked enough will fall apart. If not shredding easily, return chicken to pot for a little longer.
- Return fully shredded chicken to the pot, turn down heat and cook for another hour.
- After dishing out soup, top off with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.
UPDATE: I recently learned that the Chicken Shredding Hack is amazing! I haven’t tried it for this recipe yet. But will next time. I think you would need to do it in another bowl… Let me know if you try it. Learn more about this kitchen hack here.
Going to make this for your fam? Be sure to come back and tell me how it turned out? I’d love to hear any additions/changes you made as well!
AND… why not make Homemade Tortilla Chips too!
See more great Recipes on Mission to Save!
Come Pin with me too!