Repurposing a candle jar for DIY projects is a great way to upcycle. See these steps for how to clean a candle jar to get it project ready.
If you have been around Mission to Save for a while, you may know that I have an affinity… ok maybe an obsession, with repurposing jars. I just can not throw them away (or even recycle them). There are soooo many ways to repurpose them for DIY projects and storage. So I don’t know why to took me this long to figure out that candle jars are just as fabulous for repurposing!
Of course, many of you may be fans of the Bath and Body Works 3 wick candles. I will admit, I do love getting them as gifts and have attended my share of Bath and Body Works Candle Sale days. But my fave affordable candle options are from Aldi and Big Lots. I can often find Big Lots candles for 70-90% off after the holidays so I stock up (like that jar with the great wooden lid). But I have just recently fallen in love with Aldi candles (they made it on my must-buy Aldi items list). The 3 wick candles hit the “Aisle of Shame” seasonally and being priced at just under $4- are certainly a must-buy!
Once you finish burning your candle, there is always some wax leftover (on the cheapies and the more expensive jars too). I have found a quick way to clean a candle jar to use for repurposing of all kinds. Not only is upcycling a candle jar a frugal thing to do, you can be a real frugal pro by repurposing that leftover wax too.
Watch the video below for step by step instructions for how to clean a candle jar.
How to Clean Candle Jar
- Fill pot with water, just enough to cover half of the jar.
- Place jar inside and slowly bring to a boil.
- As water boils, candle will melt into liquid.
- Pour liquid wax into can to dispose or into candy mold to use as wax melts.
- Wash jar inside and out with warm, soapy water.
- Peel off outside label; using a plastic scrapper may help.
- Use Goo Gone for any residual label adhesive.
- Then wash with warm, soapy water again.
- Voila! Your jar is clean and ready to upcyle!
Pretty easy right? I have a feeling you are going to feel like me and are wondering why haven’t you done this sooner! What do you have in mind for upcycling your candle jars?
Want to see some more great ideas for repurposing candle jars? Check out these posts below:
- Candle Jar Vase with Flower Frog
- Use Candle Jar for Mother’s Day Gifts
- Repurposing Candle Jars for DIY Projects (coming soon)
And here are even more ideas for repurposing jars of all kinds! Don’t throw away that precious glass!
I would love you you to leave a comment below on what is your favorite candle jar upcycle!