Make this Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe tonight! It’s so yummy and you can pack it full of veggies too. The secret to this pot pie recipe is in the “crust”.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
I admit I am often a last minute dinner planner. And up until recently it worked ok for me. But with in the last couple months, the kiddos activities have increased (like something every night!). So I have had to learn to plan ahead a little better. The other day I threw a couple pieces of chicken in the crock pot with some broth in an effort to at least have something to work with! This is a great way to add more chicken recipes for dinner. I went to my Facebook page to ask for suggestions (thanks Danielle) and was inspired to create my own Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe.
Budget Friendly and No Canned Soup
I also admit that this recipe is probably like many out there. But I actually threw this one together myself without looking at Pinterest or AllRecipes. 😉 I used a modified version of my basic roux technique to create a base (and avoid the canned cream of soup), found some frozen veggies and went from there. The thing that truly makes this easy peasy is the crescent rolls for the chicken pot pie crust. Voila- this one turned out to be a winner and will go in the rotation for sure!
For the veggies you can really use anything. I had some carrots, celery and asparagus (yes diced very fine they never notice) frozen and some leftover green beans from the night before. So just mix and match your fam’s fave veggies to make 2 cups worth.
(Make this Chicken Pot Pie recipe? Come back and give it a rating! Tap the stars to rate or give a rating the comments section below. THANKS!)
- 2-3 chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 C milk
- 2 T butter
- 2 T flour
- 2 C diced veggies
- 1/2 t thyme
- 1 t minced onion
- 1 t garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- can of refrigerated crescent rolls
- Cook and cut the chicken and set aside. (In the morning, I threw them in the crock pot frozen with some broth. This was a great meal prep time saver. And don'r forget that shredded chicken hack too)
- Saute veggies in the butter
- When veggies are tender, mix in flour, then milk and broth.
- Also add in the spices.
- Simmer on low until it thickens, then stir in chicken until well incorporated
- Spray baking dish and add chicken mix in bottom.
- Lay canned crescents in a sheet on top of mixture. (optional brush a little melted butter on top of crescents)
- Cover in foil and bake 10 min at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 min (or until crescents are golden brown)
See more great Recipes on Mission to Save!
Come Pin with me too!