Last night I randomly shared a pic of our dinner on Facebook. Wow, I love the interaction that followed! I asked what is it? You answered- Chipped Beef on Toast, Creamed Beef, SOS. YES, you all got it right! (My mom never actually said the words in the acronym- it was “Stuff on a Shingle” ;))
This meal was a classic from my childhood. And as many of you mentioned it is a popular military meal from way back too. I can just tell from your comments, that this meal holds memories for many of you too. Interesting how food does that!
So here is the “recipe” for classic Chipped Beef on Toast. Now I know that this is not the most healthy meal- but it is fast, frugal and comfort food for sure!
Classic Chipped Beef on Toast Recipe
- Butter equal parts butter, flour, milk
- Flour equal parts butter, flour, milk
- Milk equal parts butter, flour, milk
- Pepper to taste
- Garlic Powder optional
- Corned Beef Deli Meat.
- First, create a simple gravy sauce by using a roux base. This basically means melt down 3-5 tablespoons of butter and add in equal parts flour and milk. Whisk until starts to thicken.
- When that begins to thicken, you may need to add a little more milk to get the right consistency. At this point season to taste. I use pepper and a little garlic powder. I would not suggest adding salt since the meat is salty on it's own.
- Now add in 3-4 packages of thin sliced Corned Beef cut in small squares. I use Buddig Meat from the packaged meat section of the grocery, very frugal!
- Serve over toast!
I chose to serve this with a powerhouse veggie- brussel sprouts (which are easy peasy in a rice and veggie steamer). But I have also heard that the traditional veggie with this meal is peas. Have you ever eaten SOS? Tell me your memories in the comments below!
Looking for another comfort food meal that is budget-friendly too. Check out another fam fave- Ground Beef Stroganoff.
See more great Recipes on Mission to Save!
Come Pin with me too!