Spring is here (really it is!) and so the Peeps have come out too! My dad is quite a Peep lover (although they have to be “aged”- aka stale and chewy! LOL!). I have seen this Sunflower Peeps cake online for a couple of years now and thought it was time to make my own. It really does turn out so cute. I have a “doctored” cake mix recipe I love to use (everyone thinks it’s scratch!) and found a great new homemade chocolate icing recipe too. So it really is quite easy to make.
Here are a few tips though to help you avoid the “Pinterest Fail”
- Make sure to flour the pans well and run a knife around the rim of the pan when they come out of the oven. Will help them come out of pan easier
- Don’t skip the sifting of the sugar and cocoa for the icing. Really does help it get a smoother consistency.
- This is the most important tip! Place the Peeps almost completely on the top of the cake. Unless you have concrete icing… they will fall off. Helping you avoid this…
- 1 chocolate cake mix (18.25 oz)
- 1 box of instant vanilla pudding (3.9 oz)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream (or vanilla yogurt)
- 18-20 Peeps
- chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 3 cups confectioners sugar (sifted)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour (2) 9 in cake pans.
- In a bowl, stir together the cake mix, instant pudding and sugar. Add the water, oil, eggs, and sour cream, mix until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared cake pans. Then bake for 25 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven. Insert toothpick if it comes out clean- cake is done.
- Cool in pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Stir together the melted butter and sifted cocoa
- Then use mixed to add the sugar and milk. Blend until smooth (shifting in the sugar and cocoa will help this process)
- When well blended, mix in vanilla.
- (left overs can be stored in refrigerator and reheated)
- Frost the cake by layering icing in-between the two layers of cake and then frost the entire stacked cake
- Place the Peeps around the outside rim of the top of the cake. Be sure Peeps are almost all the way on the top (just a bit of tail hanging off).
- Then embellish with chocolate chips in the center of the Peep ring.
- (Use a cake stand for the perfect presentation!)
See more great Recipes on Mission to Save!
Come Pin with me too!