This Sunflower Peeps Cake Recipe with Homemade Chocolate Frosting is perfect for spring and Easter celebrations.
Sunflower Peeps Cake
Spring is here (really it is!) and so the Peeps have come out too! My dad is quite a Peep lover (although they have to be “aged”- aka stale and chewy! LOL!). I have seen this Sunflower Peeps Cake online for a couple of years now and thought it was time to make my own. It really does turn out so cute.
I have a “doctored” cake mix recipe I love to use (everyone thinks it’s scratch!) and found a great new homemade chocolate icing recipe too. So it really is quite easy to make. BUT…
- Make sure to flour the pans well and run a knife around the rim of the pan when they come out of the oven. Will help them come out of pan easier
- Don’t skip the sifting of the sugar and cocoa for the icing. Really does help it get a smoother consistency.
- This is the most important tip! Place the Peeps almost completely on the top of the cake. Unless you have concrete icing… they will fall off. Helping you avoid the pic above.
- 1 chocolate cake mix 18.25 oz
- 1 box of instant vanilla pudding 3.9 oz
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup sour cream or vanilla yogurt
- 18-20 Peeps
- chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour (2) 9 in cake pans.
- In a bowl, stir together the cake mix, instant pudding and sugar. Add the water, oil, eggs, and sour cream, mix until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared cake pans. Then bake for 25 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven. Insert toothpick if it comes out clean- cake is done.
- Cool in pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Stir together the melted butter and sifted cocoa
- Then use mixed to add the sugar and milk. Blend until smooth (shifting in the sugar and cocoa will help this process)
- When well blended, mix in vanilla.
- (left overs can be stored in refrigerator and reheated)
Building the Cake
- Frost the cake by layering icing in-between the two layers of cake and then frost the entire stacked cake
- Place the Peeps around the outside rim of the top of the cake. Be sure Peeps are almost all the way on the top (just a bit of tail hanging off).
- Then embellish with chocolate chips in the center of the Peep ring.
- (Use a cake stand for the perfect presentation!)
See more great Recipes on Mission to Save!
Come Pin with me too!