Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
On a cold winter night soup is the perfect comfort food and if you are looking for a Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe- you found it! Stay home and get the same cheesy, veggie goodness with out braving the cold (or paying a premium price). This recipe is an easy to make broccoli cheese soup- I promise!
Dear Daughter and I love to do a Panera Date together. And the Broccoli Cheese Soup is always our first pick. But now it looks like we will be enjoying it at home too! When you make a recipe like this at home not only are you saving money, by making a memory too. I love that this recipe is so cheesy! If you want a more creamy broccoli soup recipe – without any cheese, I have one of those too. (here)
I think a loaf of manager’s special sourdough bread would round out this frugal meal perfectly!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 1 T melted butter
- 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 1/4 C flour
- 2 C half-and-half cream
- 2 C chicken stock
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli Or frozen 10 oz bag works perfectly
- 1 C julienned carrots (I use a mandoline slicer or you can use a food processor)
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 8 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter until onions are soft. Add in the flour and stir with the onions over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. (yes, it's a Roux Technique starter again)
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup you can puree it in a blender (But we love the chunkier texture!)
See more great Recipes on Mission to Save!
Come Pin with me too!