I love to create stockpile gift baskets. These are perfect for college students, newlyweds, housewarming and even teachers gifts. For instance, household cleaning products in a laundry basket for newlyweds, personal care items in a shower caddy for a girl going off to college. But my favorite is the diaper cake! I am sure you have seen these before, and they really are even that much more adorable in person. Be on the look out for Diaper coupons and you can make this DIY Diaper Cake on a budget. This cute shower gift can double as a perfect center piece too (the one pictured I made for my sister in law several years ago).
Here is what you need:
- Diapers (in the video below I used the new bloved brand from Big Lots)
- Rubber bands
- Travel sized baby care items
- Baby Bottle and/or full sized Baby Care item
- “Embellishments”- a lovie, flowers, etc…
- First you will need to roll each individual diaper. I use small hair rubber bands to hold the roll. One cake will take approx 2 regular sized bags of diapers (give or take)
- Next use a baby care item like powder or baby wipes to be your base.
- Start to stand up the diapers in layers around this item. Usually the base level of the cake is 2-3 “layers” deep.
- To hold the diapers in place, use a wide ribbon wrapped around the diapers.
- Then begin a second level on top in the same way.
- Your third level should just be 1 diaper layer deep.
- Then embellish the cake with small travel sizes items, a lovie and even flowers.
Watch this video to get a better idea on how to “build” the cake:
If the cake just a little ambitious for you. Why not try a DIY Diaper Wreath? It’s a perfect way to welcome baby home! I actually use both at Baby Showers. Definitely gets the “aww, so cute” factor! 🙂