Have you been wondering how to make hot cocoa bombs? See the steps to make these sweet sippers that make great holiday gifts. Includes a delicious Creme Brulee Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe
I am sure you have seen the popular (and mesmerizing) hot cocoa bomb videos on social media. Have you ever wondered how to make cocoa bombs? This year more than ever, people are looking for great homemade gift ideas and hot cocoa bombs are perfect for the holiday season. Check out how to make these sweet sippers with a unique Creme Brulee twist.
How to Make Hot Cocoa Bombs
Oh, maybe there are some of you that might be saying what exactly is a hot cocoa bomb? Basically, it is a ball of chocolate that is filled with ingredients for hot chocolate of some flavor. You place the “bomb” in a mug and pour steaming hot milk over it and watch the hot cocoa ingredients explode from inside as the outer chocolate melts. It’s really quite exciting and satisfying to see the marshmallows, cocoa mix and other fun ingredients pop out and create the perfect beverage. So let’s get to making them!
First, we have to start with the right supplies. And the tool you absolutely need is actually meant for something else- a bath bomb mold. Yep! There are several styles to choose from. I liked this metal bath bomb set because it includes 3 sizes. There are also silicone options and you could try a cake pop mold if you already own those.
Generally, the process for making hot cocoa bombs is this- melt the chocolate, coat the mold, freeze the mold, fill with hot cocoa ingredients, seal the cocoa bomb- Enjoy! See the recipe card or more detailed instructions.
Creme Brulee Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe
- 2 cups White Chocolate Candy Melts or Almond Bark
- 2 cups Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1 cup Caramel Sauce
- 6 Caramel candies, crushed
- Colored sugar optional
- Place white candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Place 1 tbsp melted candy melt into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even. Repeat with 12 bomb mold halves.
- Place the chocolate filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer and gently tap the sides of the mold, pressing on one side of the chocolate to make the chocolate slide out of the mold.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 1 tbsp hot chocolate mix, 1 tbsp caramel sauce, and 6-8 mini marshmallows.
- Heat a plate in the microwave or a pan on the stove until the surface of the plate/pan is warm to the touch.
- Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves, open-side-down, onto the warm plate/pan for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join together the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the assembled hot cocoa bombs then immediately follow by sprinkling additional crushed caramel candies over them.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
- To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
You of course can try many different variations for these treats. How about some of these hot cocoa combinations:
- milk chocolate coating: crushed peanut butter cups and cocoa mix filling, drizzled with peanut butter sauce
- white chocolate coating: white chocolate cocoa mix, crushed peppermint sticks, peppermint mini marshmallows for filling, drizzled with dark chocolate sauce and topped with crushed peppermint sticks
Really the possibilities are endless!
>> PIN IT! <<
See more great Recipes on Mission to Save!
Come Pin with me too!