I mentioned in my introduction to Cricut Explore Air, I knew right away that many crafting projects were going to be possible – but needed to start simple. So for one of my first projects I made simple iron on letters for a burlap banner. My next project was just as simple and I have a tutorial for you so you can get cutting with Cricut too!
The Cricut Design Space provides you with a catalog of thousands of pre made projects and images. For my niece’s bridal shower tea party I knew I wanted to make simple favors with a vinyl detail. I had ordered these tin boxes to place tea bags inside. All the box needed was a pretty flower detail. Here is how I added that vinyl image.
Cutting a Simple Pre-Made Image for Vinyl on Cricut Explore Air
How to Apply Cut Vinyl to Project
- Go to Cricut Design Space
- Choose from one of the pre-made projects OR Click Create New Project (this is what I did to create a simple single image)
- On the Project editor page, click “Insert Images”
- Enter a search term to find your image.
- Note that there are several options on each image: Free, “a” which means free for access accounts or a purchase price.
- Click image to highlight, then click “insert images” on lower right.
- Drag image to upper right corner and resize for your application.
- Edit image- I chose to “hide” the background color so that I was just using one vinyl color for the image.
- Click Go and Go again.
- Be sure that settings are correct on your Explore Air, load and Go!
- Watch the video for a step by step
Now that your simple image has been cut, you need to know how to apply the vinyl to your project. For this you will need Cricut® Transfer Tape. This will help you get all those little pieces of you cut image in just the right place.
- First cut piece of transfer tape to size of image.
- Remove paper back of tape and apply sticky side to front of vinyl image
- Patiently remove image by leaving positive image on the transfer tape – “weeding” out the negative image.
- Apply vinyl to project piece and slowly remove transfer tape (fold tape back on itself and pull away on angle)
- (you can see the picture below has a little different image, but the process is the same)
So what was your first Cricut project? Haven’t tried one yet? Does this inspire you?