This Ham and Potato Chowder Recipe is so rich and creamy. It’s a perfect way to use that leftover ham too!
Looking for a way to use leftover ham- instead of just for a sandwich? This Ham & Potato Chowder Recipe is so good. Honestly, sometimes hubs asks for me to cook a ham, just so we can use the leftovers for this soup recipe!
How to Make Ham & Potato Chowder
A few things to note…
- This is a recipe that I often “hide” veggie in. If I have frozen produce, like carrots or asparagus, I will throw those in too.
- In the picture below you can see I cook the ham bone in with the veggies at first. This just gives a deeper “ham” flavor and is completely optional. Just remove the bone right before adding in the roux mix.
- If you have to wait a bit to eat this, the roux base will create a film on top. No worries, just re-heat and stir to reincorporate the roux.
- 3 C diced red potatoes I leave on some of the skin for color and nutrients
- 1/3 C diced celery
- 1/3 C chopped onion again I like purple for the color
- 1 can corn undrained
- 1 can great northern beans undrained
- 1-2 C diced ham or more- I just "eye" this one
- 3 1/4 C water + 2 T chicken bouillon granules or 3 1/4 cup broth
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t white pepper
- 5 T butter
- 5 T flour
- 2 C milk
- Combine all ingredients, except "roux", into a stock pot.
- Bring to boil and cook for 15- 20 min (until potatoes are soft)
- In separate saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour, stirring until thick
- Then slowly stir in milk- continue stirring until thick (and no lumps)
- Stir the milk/Roux mixture into the stockpot of meat and veggies.
- Continue to stir and cook for several min- until heated through
- Serve right away
This recipe uses one of my favorite cooking techniques, called a “roux”. You can use it as a base to make so many meals. Learn more about how to make a roux here.
See more great Recipes on Mission to Save!
Come Pin with me too!
Mary Hoover says
Yay! Glad you enjoyed it Kaye. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
I saw this recipe through a friend on Facebook and made it. It was absolutely delicious! A big hit in my household, thank you so much for sharing!
Mary Hoover says
Stephanie- Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I am so glad you enjoyed it. This one is definitely a family fave here.