My kiddos did a Toy Story theme for Halloween a few years ago. I was a little intimidated to make Buzz Lightyear costume, but I think it turned out pretty cute. And really it wasn’t as hard as I first thought. Help your little guy take Trick or Treat, to Infinity and Beyond!
DIY Buzz Lightyear Costume
- White sweatsuit (long johns, football/baseball pants also work)
- White gloves
- Piece of neon green felt
- Several old cardboard boxes painted white, hot glue and wide purple cord/ribbon, double sided velcro tape or duct tape
- optional black and purple jersey fabric
For the neck piece:
- Cut the green felt into the shape of a collar (with a slit at the back for an opening). This is basically a circle with the center cut out for the neck. Then using a Buzz Lightyear picture for reference, paint on Buzz’s “control panel” buttons.
For the jet pack/wings:
- Cut one of the boxes so that it will fit the size of your child’s back. Be sure to leave about a 2 inch deep border around the outside (so box is still 3D not flat). Cut another box into wing shapes, fold down an inch on the wide end to hot glue to each side of the back box.
- Once again, use a picture as reference to paint on the wing details. Using hot glue, on the top attach the purple cord to the inside corners of the top of the back piece. When you place the jet pack on your child, cross the cords in front and then attach with double sided velcro or duct tape to the bottom corners of the box.
- For a waist band, use a wide elastic belt or sew a simple seam on a piece of black scrap fabric to create a “tube” to wear as the belt
- For his head, buy purple jersey material and again sew a simple seam up the back for another “tube” piece to fit up over his head and neck.
As you can see from the little photo bombs, the twins were Little Bo Peep and Woody (also DIY of course! 😉 ). Once again it was a fun, creative, non-scary way to celebrate imagination at Halloween.
Leave a Reply