By now you have probably seen these Despicable Me Minion cupcakes. I think I first saw them on a friend’s a Facebook feed. I am kind of notorious for designing birthday cakes in my head, but not really bring able to produce a result. So when I saw this cupcake idea, I knew I couldn’t mess it up.
I have had a few questions about just how to make them. So here are some tips.
- use Twinkies cut in half for the body (BTW- Big Lots is the new thrift outlet for Hostess, so get your Twinkies for less!)
- to get the really bright blue you may need to buy it premade or use cake decorator coloring. The regular food colors did not get it bright enough ( and thins out the icing if you use too much)
- use Smarties candy for the eyes, attach with a dot of icing on the back (you can also buy candy eyeballs)
- pipe on the eye balls and goggles using decorator gel icing
- of course you can use regular cupcake liners, but don’t you think these silly feet cups are adorable!
These were a total hit with kids and adults at my son’s party. And I finally had a non-dramatic cake experience. 😉
If you try these cupcakes, be sure to send me a pic! Do you have other easy peasy birthday cake ideas?