By now you have probably seen these Despicable Me Minion cupcakes. I think I first saw them on a friend’s a Facebook feed. I am kind of notorious for designing birthday cakes in my head, but not really bring able to produce a result. So when I saw this cupcake idea, I knew I couldn’t mess it up.
I have had a few questions about just how to make them. So here are some tips.
- use Twinkies cut in half for the body (BTW- Big Lots is the new thrift outlet for Hostess, so get your Twinkies for less!)
- to get the really bright blue you may need to buy it premade or use cake decorator coloring. The regular food colors did not get it bright enough ( and thins out the icing if you use too much)
- use Smarties candy for the eyes, attach with a dot of icing on the back (you can also buy candy eyeballs)
- pipe on the eye balls and goggles using decorator gel icing
- of course you can use regular cupcake liners, but don’t you think these silly feet cups are adorable!
These were a total hit with kids and adults at my son’s party. And I finally had a non-dramatic cake experience. 😉
If you try these cupcakes, be sure to send me a pic! Do you have other easy peasy birthday cake ideas?
Dawn Kropp says
Super cute idea! My nephew would love these. I’ve pinned the recipe to make for him the next time he comes over. Thank you 🙂
Mary Hoover says
Thanks Dawn. I hope he loved them!