Ham and Potato Chowder Recipe
This Ham and Potato Chowder Recipe is so rich and creamy. It's a perfect way to use that leftover ham too!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 3 C diced red potatoes I leave on some of the skin for color and nutrients
- 1/3 C diced celery
- 1/3 C chopped onion again I like purple for the color
- 1 can corn undrained
- 1 can great northern beans undrained
- 1-2 C diced ham or more- I just "eye" this one
- 3 1/4 C water + 2 T chicken bouillon granules or 3 1/4 cup broth
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t white pepper
- 5 T butter
- 5 T flour
- 2 C milk
Combine all ingredients, except "roux", into a stock pot.
Bring to boil and cook for 15- 20 min (until potatoes are soft)
In separate saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
Whisk in the flour, stirring until thick
Then slowly stir in milk- continue stirring until thick (and no lumps)
Stir the milk/Roux mixture into the stockpot of meat and veggies.
Continue to stir and cook for several min- until heated through
Serve right away