Garage Sales have long been a common way to either make a little extra money or save a little extra money. Whichever category you fall into, there’s usually quite a bit of effort involved. You’re either organizing and facilitating the bargains or you’re hunting them down.
Thanks to social media and the creation of Facebook Garage Sale Groups, it’s easier than ever to buy and sell your stuff without losing numerous hours of your weekend, or even getting out of your pjs. There are, however, a few things you’ll want to keep in mind to guarantee a pleasant experience for all.
Here’s a list of tips for making the most of online garage sale groups.
Tips For Everyone Using Facebook Sale Groups
- Stick to the rules. Each group has their own rules. Be sure you know what they are and stick to them.
- Meet in public. Stay safe by arranging to meet in a public place, preferably during daylight hours. (Exception: I am a part of a closed group for just my community and everyone is approved before joining. We often do PPU- Porch Pick Ups. You leave your items in a bin/bag on your porch and the person picks it up and leaves payment under a mat or in a mailbox. I feel safe with this option, just as if I would feel safe enough advertising my address for a traditional physical garage sale)
- Follow through. If you say you’ll meet someone to pick up/drop off an item, be there. If an emergency arises, contact the other party ASAP.
Tips for Online Sellers
- List quality items. Just like at a garage sale, the best items go quick. Be sure your items are in good used condition or better.
- Set a fair price. Leave a little room for haggling because (if allowed) you will have offers.
- Bump your post. Members may not check the group everyday so be sure to bump your post to the top every couple of days to keep your items fresh in the members’ feeds. To “bump” means to comment on your own post (often by saying “bump”) so it goes back to the top.
- Be detailed. Take good photos and give lots of details.
- Be honest. Be upfront about the condition of your item. Point out any flaws, and take extra pictures if necessary.
Tips for Online Garage Sale Buyers
- Ask questions. Sometimes sellers may forget to add certain details into a listing. If you have a question, ask.
- Ask for additional photos. Make sure you know exactly what you are buying and that it is exactly what you want.
- Approve before you pay. Some sellers do not always act with integrity. Be sure to check to make sure the item is in working condition and meets your approval before you pay.
- Pay with cash. And bring the correct amount. Most sellers will not accept a check or be able to make change.
Follow these tips and your experience with Facebook Garage Sale Groups will be successful and rewarding.
I would love to hear about on your buying/selling experiences. I have become quite a fan (I mean who wouldn’t be for $7 Sperry’s!) Leave a comment below!